Making a Claim
- Car Insurance
- Roadside Assistance
- GAP Cover
- Loan Protection Insurance
- House & Contents Insurance
- Funeral Plan
- Life Insurance
- If your claim is for a broken window, simply phone Co-op Insurance NZ on 0800 369 258 and they will arrange for it to be repaired/replaced (no excess applies).
- If you need to claim for an accident, theft or vandalism, download a claim form from our website or pop in to one of our branches. We can forward the claim form on to Co-op Insurance NZ on your behalf, or you can send it to them directly email@example.com.
- A copy of the licence of the driver (not necessarily the insured) needs to be supplied with the claim form.
- Immediately advise the Police if your claim relates to theft, break-ins or serious crashes. They will provide you with documentation that is required to assist with your claim.
How long will my claim take?
Your vehicle may just need repairing, it may be a total loss (a write-off), or it may have been stolen and not yet recovered. An investigator may also be appointed to help process the claim so a time frame cannot easily be placed on a claim.
Read the tips below for handy hints in speeding up the process:
- Make sure you get as many details as possible from any other drivers involved in the accident such as their name, phone number, number plate and insurance company.
- If you have lodged a claim, make sure your vehicle is easily accessible for inspection by the assessor and try to keep it as secure as possible (eg. if at all possible, don’t leave your vehicle on the side of the road overnight if it’s been crashed).
- Supply Co-op Insurance NZ with the best phone number to contact you on to ensure your claim is processed as quickly as possible.
- Don’t admit liability or fault at the accident scene – Co-op Insurance NZ will work it out once they have all the facts from both sides.
- Be honest.
Excess is your contribution to the cost of each claim you make, but if you were not the driver at fault and you are able to supply contact details and vehicle information for the other driver who caused the accident, your excess may be refunded back to you or you may not have to pay any excess at all.
The excess payable depends on the age of the driver plus any voluntary excess you may have selected when you started the policy. There may also have been an additional excess imposed during the underwriting process of the policy. Standard excesses are as follows:
- $300 for 25 years and over
- $750 for 21 to 24 year olds
- $1,350 for 20 years and under
- A theft and/or malicious damage excess of $1,500 applies to modified or 'at risk' vehicles
- $300 excess applies for standard theft claims, regardless of the age of the policy holder
- $100 excess applies to Trailer claims
To arrange a callout simply phone 0800 369 258 and select the Roadside Assistance option (#3). Your call will immediately be re-directed to the NZ Roadside Assistance callout service.
Please note: Cover must have been in place for 48 hours before you are able to use the callout service.
Your cover includes 3 free callouts per year, but if you need assistance more than 3 times, the service can still be provided at your own cost - don't worry, we won't leave you in the lurch!
If you need to make a claim you'll need to advise us within 28 days of being made aware that your vehicle is a 'total-loss'. You can contact us or Co-op Insurance NZ on 0800 369 258.
A claim form will be required, as well as the following supporting documents:
- A copy of your original loan/finance agreement
- Details of your outstanding loan balance and repayment history
- A copy of the car insurance claim form (if you are not insured with Co-op Insurance NZ)
- A copy of the insurance settlement document which shows the amount being paid out for the claim
Please note that if you have a First Credit Union loan and your vehicle is insured with Co-op Insurance NZ, we will be able to handle the majority of the claim for you so you won't need to worry about providing any of the above documents. You'll just need to sign the claim form.
Claim funds will be paid directly to your loan. If there are any claim funds left over we will credit the amount to your nominated account.
You'll need to contact us as soon as possible as there are claim time limits for each cover type.
A claim form needs to be completed and documentation to support your claim will be required. This can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we have everything we need your claim will be sent to the claims department for processing. Depending on the type of cover you are claiming on, an outcome is usually given within 2 business days.
- Life claims require a copy of the death certificate and claims should be made within 6 months of the date of death.
- Disability claims require signed medical certificates from your doctor confirming the dates off work as well as the reason why you are unfit for work. Claims should be lodged within 3 months of the date of disability.
- Trauma claims require a letter from your doctor or surgeon confirming the date of diagnosis/event. Claims should be made within 6 months of the date of your trauma.
- Redundancy claims require a signed copy of your full employment contract, your redundancy letter, as well as your final pay slip. Claims should be made within 3 months of the date of your redundancy.
- Bankruptcy claims require documentation from the court or insolvency department confirming the date you were adjudicated bankrupt. Claims should be made within 3 months of the date of bankruptcy.
Please note: Partial cover may be considered even if the claim is out of time, so it's best to lodge your claim regardless of the time limits listed above and we'll let you know if we are able to cover you or not.
Phone Vero Insurance NZ Limited on 0800 505 905 in the first instance. Straightforward claims can usually be resolved within 24 hours!
If your claim relates to a crime (eg. burglary), you should notify the police immediately.
Should you need to complete a claim form you can download this here. Once completed, email the form to email@example.com. Alternatively, the fastest way to complete a claim is via Vero's online system: https://www.vero.co.nz/claims/how-to-claim#claim-online.
When a loved one has passed away, contact us to lodge a claim on their behalf.
We require documentation to confirm the death of the insured and can accept any of the following: Medical Certificate of Causes of Death, NZ Death Certificate, Letter from Funeral Director, Letter from Solicitor, Death Notice from local newspaper. We'll also require photo ID from the Nominated Beneficiary as well as details of where to credit the claim funds to.
Once we have received the above documents and the claim has been accepted, funds are normally paid within 2 business days.
OnePath clients: Phone Warren Storm Lifebrokers Limited on 0800 478 676. Alternatively phone OnePath Insurance directly on 0508 464 666.
Sovereign clients: Phone Millenium Insurance Group Ltd on 07 834 4332. They will assist with the claim and make sure the process runs smoothly.
Co-op Insurance NZ is the trading name for Credit Union Insurance Limited, an insurer licensed by The Reserve Bank of New Zealand under the Insurance (Prudential Supervision) Act 2010.