Making a Claim
- Car Insurance
- Roadside Assistance
- Loan Protection Insurance
- House & Contents Insurance
- Funeral Plan
- Life Insurance
- Tell us straight away when damage or loss occurs.
- If your claim is for a broken window all you need to do is call Credit Union Insurance on 0800 369 258 and they will arrange for it to be repaired/replaced (no excess applies).
- If you need to claim for an accident, theft or vandalism, you can either come in to one of our branches and complete a claim form or phone us and we can send you the relevant paperwork. Alternatively, you can download a claim form from our website.
- If your vehicle is driveable, call Credit Union Insurance to get details of an approved repairer (unless you already have a panel beater that you prefer to use, in which case you should supply a written quote with your claim form).
- A copy of the licence of the driver (not necessarily the insured) needs to be supplied with the claim form.
- Immediately advise the Police if your claim relates to theft, break-ins or serious crashes. They will provide you with documentation that is required to assist with your claim.
How long will my claim take?
There is no simple answer for this question. Your vehicle may just need repairing, it may be a total loss, or it may have been stolen and not yet recovered. An investigator may also be appointed, so a time frame can not easily be placed on a claim.
Read the tips below for handy hints in speeding up the process:
- Make sure you get as many details as possible from any other drivers involved in the accident such as their name, phone number, number plate and insurance company.
- If you have lodged a claim, make sure your vehicle is easily accessible for inspection by the assessor and try to keep it as secure as possible (eg. if at all possible, don’t leave your vehicle on the side of the road overnight if it’s been crashed).
- Supply Credit Union Insurance with the best number to contact you on if they need to get in touch with you.
- Don’t admit liability or fault at the accident scene – Credit Union Insurance will work it out once they have all the facts from both sides.
- Be honest.
Excess is your contribution to the cost of each claim you make, but if you were not the driver at fault and you are able to supply contact details & vehicle information for the other driver who caused the accident, your excess may be refunded back to you or you may not have to pay any excess at all.
Excess payable depends on the age of the driver:
- $300 for 25 years and over
- $750 for 21 to 24 year olds
- $1350 for 20 years and under
- A theft and/or malicious damage excess of $1500 applies to modified or 'at risk' vehicles.
- $100 excess applies to Trailer claims.
To arrange a callout simply call Credit Union Insurance on 0800 369 258 and select the Roadside Assistance option. Your call will immediately be re-directed to the NZ Roadside Assistance callout service.
Please note: Cover must have been in place for atleast 48 hours before you are able to use the callout service.
Your cover includes 3 free callouts per year, but if you need assistance more than 3 times, the service can still be provided at your own cost - don't worry, we won't leave you in the lurch!
If you need to make a claim, you'll need to advise us within 28 days of being made aware that your vehicle is a 'total-loss'. You can contact us or Credit Union Insurance on 0800 369 258.
A claim form will be required, as well as the following supporting documents:
- A copy of your original loan/finance agreement
- Details of your outstanding loan balance and repayment history
- A copy of the car insurance claim form (if you are not insured with Credit Union Insurance)
- A copy of the insurance settlement document which shows the amount being paid out for the claim
Please note that if you have a First Credit Union loan and your vehicle is insured with Credit Union Insurance, we will be able to handle the majority of the claim for you so you won't need to worry about providing any of the above documents. You'll just need to sign the claim form.
Claim funds will be paid directly to your loan. If there are any claim funds left over, we will credit the amount to your nominated account.
You'll need to contact us as soon as possible as there are claim time limits for each cover type.
A claim form needs to be completed and documentation to support your claim will be required. Once we have everything we need, your claim will be sent to the claims department for processing. Depending on the type of cover you are claiming for, an answer is usually given within 48 hours plus there is no excess to pay!
- Life claims require a copy of the death certificate and claims must be made within 6 months of the date of death.
- Disability claims require a signed medical certificate from your doctor confirming the dates off work as well as the reason why you are unfit for work. Claims must be lodged within 3 months of the date of disability.
- Trauma claims require a letter from your doctor or surgeon confirming the date of diagnosis/event. Claims must be made within 6 months of the date of your trauma.
- Redundancy claims require a copy of your employment contract, your redundancy letter as well as your final payslip. Claims must be made within 3 months of the date of your redundancy.
- Bankruptcy claims require documentation from the court or insolvency department confirming the date you were adjudicated bankrupt. Claims must be made within 3 months of the date of bankruptcy.
Please note: If your claim is out of time partial cover can be considered in some cases, so it's best to lodge your claim regardless of the time limits listed above and we'll let you know if we are able to cover you or not.
You should lodge your claim as soon as possible by phoning Vero Insurance on 0800 505 905. The sooner you lodge your claim, the sooner you can be helped! If you have access to the internet you can lodge your claim online by going to www.vero.co.nz. If your claim relates to a crime (eg. burglary), notify the police immediately.
Excess is your contribution to the cost of each claim you make. The excess you will pay depends on the amount you selected when you took out the cover. Amounts range from $150 to $1000.
An additional $250 excess will apply if the home is occupied by, or shared with flatmates, boarders or tenants who are not family members.
The beneficiary of the policy will need to provide us with a copy of the insured's death certificate as soon as possible. We will also require photo ID from the beneficiary as well as details of the bank account number for paying the claim funds to.
We will then complete a claim form and send it through to the claims department for processing. Once the claim is processed, the funds will be paid to the beneficiary. Payment usually occurs within 48 hours after the receipt of the death certificate.
If a beneficiary has not been selected, the insured's estate will need to supply the death certificate and in turn the funds will be paid to the estate.
The first step in any claims procedure is to notify OnePath immediately when an event occurs that may result or is likely to result in you making a claim, by calling 0508 464 329.
OnePath will then advise you of the information that is required to progress your claim and also what process will be followed for the assessment and acceptance of the claim.
The proceeds of any claim payments will be paid to the surviving owner(s) of the policy, or if the insured was the sole owner of the policy then proceeds will be paid to their estate.